The Perfect Summer Adventure
Picture this: On a warm day in July, you leave your car behind in Buffalo to pedal along the historic Erie Canalway Trail to Albany for Parks & Trails New York’s annual Cycle the Erie Canal bike tour. Covering between 40 and 60 miles per day, you will travel along the Erie Canalway Trail, which is now more than 85 percent off-road and the east-west axis of the statewide 750-mile Empire State Trail.
Along the way, you will enjoy some of the finest scenery, most interesting history, and unparalleled cycling in the United States. You’ll get the chance to stay overnight in Buffalo, Medina, Fairport, Seneca Falls, Syracuse, Rome, Canajoharie, and Schenectady at colorful tent cities, forming friendships with fellow riders that will last a lifetime. Eight days and 400 miles, your journey along the legendary Erie Canal ends in Albany.
What can you expect?
- Indoor and outdoor camping accommodations
- Eight hearty breakfasts and six delicious dinners
- Two daily refreshment stops, stocked with fruit, snacks and beverages
- Evening entertainment, including music and historical presentations
- Guided tours of the Canal, historic sites, museums, and other attractions, including the Women’s Rights National Historic Park, Erie Canal Museum and Village, Fort Stanwix National Monument, and a boat tour through the Lockport locks
- Kick-off reception and end-of-tour celebrationCycle the Erie Canal t-shirt
- Baggage transport
- SAG wagon and mobile mechanical support
- Daily maps and cue sheets
- Painted and arrowed routes
- Pre-departure info packet, including training tips
- Recognition as a Cycle the Erie Canal End-to-Ender
- Amenities (for an additional fee) including fresh daily towels, gourmet morning coffee, tent and air mattress rental and set up
Ready to roll?
Experience the adventure for yourself on the 24th annual Cycle the Erie Canal bike tour, returning this year July 10-17, 2022. Registration will open January 5 at 12:00pm (noon) and is expected to fill up quickly — so make sure to mark your calendars and sign up for our Cycle the Erie Canal Tour email list for updates.